Wednesday 12 December 2012

Radio 1's Live Lounge Special - Ben Howard covers Ellie Goulding's Figure 8.

This is literally my idea of music heaven.
Ellie's album Halcyon is one of my favourite albums of 2012 (in close competition with Mumford and Son's Babel). Although every track on this album is incredible, Figure 8 is by far my favourite. It's powerful, meaningful and most importantly sounds great both vocally and musically.
Ben Howard is my favourite male solo artist, I've posted about my love for him before so I won't bore you all with that again. Naturally I was extremely excited to find out Ben Howard was doing the live lounge special and the anticipation for the cover couldn't have been met with more enthusiasm from me.
Ellie's version of this song is incredible, but Ben Howard brings a new dimension to the sounds and lyrics in a way that transforms it completely. I wouldn't say it was better than the original because it's too different to compare, all I know is that I want to listen to it over and over.

This is Ellie's original version of Figure 8. The passion and the power of the song is something that draws me in to it and is most probably why it is my favourite on the album. The video for this has been done extremely well and is a good balance of creative beauty and powerful emotion. The timing of the drops along with visual representations is perfect and results in a very successful video.


Enjoy (:
x


No comments:

Post a Comment