Wednesday 30 January 2013

"It's all about colour" - (Freedom Writers)

Perhaps self explanatory due to the title of my blog, I don't usually tend to post about films. As much as I am a massive film enthusiast, and have a weakness for being sucked in to the more emotional films, my love for them is simply that - emotional. I prefer to post about things that get me excited creatively, that way I can analyse more as opposed to descriptively listing information to you.
Of course, there are some films that are visually creative enough for me to have a creative opinion on - but it doesn't happen too often. I have however found a loophole in my theory with this film (albeit a small one), in which the most powerful moment of the film in my opinion, has a very small connection to Makeup. Although irrelevant to any form of makeup artistry, the pure fact it's related at all was enough to allow me to justify a non-creative post.

Freedom Writers. 
Freedom Writers is one of my all time favourite films and I have lost count of the amount of times I have seen it. It's one of those films where you have to see it to truly understand it. Any attempts of me trying to sell the film to my friends results in a boring description of a generic high school gang film. It is so much more than that and my words wouldn't do it justice.





Based on a true story, Freedom Writers explores every possible emotion you could experience - it's powerful, hard hitting and painful. Laced between the harsh truths however, are heart wrenching glimpses of unity and compassion that you would never imagine feeling for the characters from the beginning.
"It's all about colour" is quoted near the very beginning of the film and sets up the entire scene in no more than 4 words. It also provides a perfect circular narrative as it is readdressed from a new perspective at a later point in the film.
This is the moment I was on about earlier and to me, is one of the most powerful moments of a film I have watched. I won't go in to any more detail as I don't want to ruin it for any of you who may happen to watch it. Just keep an eye out for the small makeup scene between Eva and Sindy.

Take the time to watch it, it's worth it!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment