Wednesday 13 February 2013

Paramore - Now



Paramore - Now


I think this is the most excited I've been about a blog post - or anything in general - for a long time. For any of you who know me, you'll already know that I am the biggest Paramore fan. They can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned. I could endlessly list my reasons for why they are my favourite band but I'll resist.

Hayleys' vocals never fail to disappoint, there is something about her voice that captivates me and draws me in to every single song. This, combined with the emotion fueled, meaningful lyrics provides (in my opinion) an endless stream of incredible music.
Their new video for 'Now' has been criticised by some fans on Youtube as not fitting to the song/lyrics. I disagree with this entirely, but I guess that everyone will draw their own meaning from their interpretation of the song. To me the lyrics are powerful and are about sensitive issues that everyone can relate to in one way or another. The beat and melody of the song fits my interpretation of the mood and subject matter perfectly, building in exactly the right places.
I could go on about the song forever but what this post was actually intended for was the visual side of the video.
The makeup in this video is very different to what we usually see on Hayley. Known for her bold eyebrows, bright eye shadows and more recently a touch of lip colour, this very neutral pallet is a harsh contrast. The blocked out eyebrows and white eyes/lashes initially stand out at the beginning of the video and if I'm honest, aren't the most flattering. However, as the video progresses we're introduced to explosions of colour (literally) and this is when the makeup starts to work its magic. The use of colour in the video is powerful and symbolic, this then contrasts greatly with neutral makeup causing Hayley to look vulnerable and very pure. This is most notable when Hayley is covered blue towards the end.
This visual contrast between power and vulnerability is fitting to both the lyrics and the meaning and to me, provides a much more conceptual element to both the song and the video.

Enjoy!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment