Monday 13 February 2012

Ben Howard - Old Pine

Ben Howard, one of my favourite male vocalists for an expansive list of reasons ranging from lyrics and meaning to the beautiful vocals and melodies. I am lucky enough to be going to see him live in a couple of weeks in Bristol, courtesy of my Brother buying me a ticket for Christmas. Excited doesn't even begin to cover it.

The reason for this post however is not entirely centered around my love for Ben Howard, but more relevant to my current Uni project. I am currently working on my Final Major Project - they weren't joking when they told us it was going to be challenging - but all the same I am excited about my proposed outcome. The concept of my project revolves around the idea of fairytale/childhood and ultimately I want to create a book of which displays snapshot memories of childhood scenarios. I will be taking my own personal childhood photos and recreating them from a fashion and beauty perspective. Combining each with a short written fictional narrative to create a visual storybook in the style of an old fashioned childrens storybook.
The concept aims to allow the reader to leave their stress behind and escape for a while into a reminiscent world of childhood memories in which everything was so seemingly carefree and pure.
Some of the most important elements of this project are mood and lighting, the mood is what will capture the audience and allow them to relate on a personal and emotional level, the lighting will assist the mood. I want to create a nostalgic feel to my images, muted tones, soft lighting and pallets etc. Being shot on location the sun will make or break my planned shoots (I am praying for good weather) with morning and evening light being most suitable.
The video for Old Pine is beautiful and in places captures the exact mood and emotion I want to create through my photography in this project. The use of camera angles and lighting paired with the building of emotive music, for me personally, arouses a carefree emotion and a sense of freedom.




As well as the video being beautiful and perfectly fitting to my project, the lyrics(http://www.lyricshall.com/lyrics/Ben+Howard/Old+Pine/also communicate the idea of a more carefree time, a time on which you now look back on with the realisation that those experiences are among some of the best you'll ever have. I think this is something that everyone can relate to, the loss of the innocent joy of being a child and the memories that fill you with a longing yet still bring a smile to your lips.

x


No comments:

Post a Comment